It’s been a rather up and down week as per usual, but one where I have reflected on the country that I am in, Britian. I will say that sometimes, you can forget just where you are and what this place really stands for. For being one of many people living on this island, isolated from Mainland Europe, a lot does happen here.
When you look at the rest of Earth, you’ve got Japan that’s always creating technology that’s years in advance to anything you would see here…America always flexing it’s muscles to the rest of the world and you can’t exactly ignore that, well lets just say the major world powers have qualities that make them stand out France, Germany, Russia, China, you name them…but what about Britain? Well it has London, right? which is always in the top of the charts for visitors from around the globe, it recently finished 4th, the highest non Asian city in the world, behind Bangkok, Singapore and Hong Kong, that’s not bad as it has had more visitors than Paris and New York! But it begs the question of, is Britain just limited to and relies on London to keep it’s reputation up so high, what about the rest of the Island.
- Northern Ireland
Our History is one thing that People around the world might be interested in, one that stretches back to the days of the Celts and beyond. This island has been owned by Celts, Romans, Saxons, Vikings, Normans, Plantagenet’s, Lancastrians, Yorkists, Tudors, Stuarts, Georgians, Victorians and so on. It’s had many cultural influences from around the globe, although it is kind of funny how so many countries invaded Britain in the past, I mean when you really think about it
- France (Normans and technically it’s where Henry Tudor set off to invade England from)
- Norway and Denmark (Vikings)
- Germany (Saxons)
- Italy (Romans)
*Celts came from all over Europe
They have all successfully invaded Britain at one point in the past. 1066 is said to be when Britain was last successfully invaded and in a sense, it was. A three way tussle between Saxons, Vikings and Normans for the English Crown which saw the English end the Viking Age and concludes with the famous Battle of Hastings that ends with England having new masters, The Norman leader William the Conqueror defeats Saxon King Harold II and becomes William I. Effectively Saxons and Vikings die out and Normans prosper, even though they were sort of Vikings, the beginning of a new.
Other famous dates could include 1215 when the Magna Carta was introduced, 1314 when Scotland made a massive step in getting Independence from England at the Battle of Bannockburn, 1415, Battle of Agincourt where the English defeated the French and almost secured the French Throne, only for the English King to die first and 1485 when the Tudor Dynasty began with victory and the death of King Richard III at the Battle of Bosworth Field which in many historians views brought an end to the Middle Ages. This event in particular has been brought up recently with the discovery of Richard’s body in a car park in Leicester- you can click on the link here and read about what it is that makes this King so interesting to talk about http://mwhitehouse22.com/2015/03/24/did-richard-iii-murder-the-princes-in-the-tower/
The Tudors are known in Britain for being the most famous dynasty to have ruled this island. Their are more documentaries, TV Shows, Movies made about these monarchs than any other, look it up!
- Henry VII- Founder of Tudor Dynasty- Defeated Richard III and Made England Rich and was able to secure the throne for his son, the first to do so in decades.
- Henry VIII- Dissolved the Pope’s influence over England and began the Church of England as well as the beginning of Protestants in England and what was all of this for? so he could divorce his wife Catherine of Aragon and marry Anne Boleyn so she could give him a male heir…didn’t work in the end though, he had to wait until his 3rd wife Jane Seymour.
- Edward VI- Didn’t rule for long, fell ill and died
- Lady Jane Grey…ruled for 9 days before being executed by Mary Tudor
- Mary I- Scary Rule as she brought Catholic Rule back to England and spent her entire reign burning Catholics and trying to prevent her sister from getting the throne. She failed to do this as she could not produce an heir
- Elizabeth I- England flourished in her reign as English Drama sky rocketed, thanks to William Shakespeare and Christopher Marlowe. England Defeated Spain’s Spanish Armada and Elizabeth had Mary, Queen of Scots executed. Alas, the famous Virgin Queen did not produce an heir so the Tudors were soon no more.
England entered the Tudor age still recovering from the War of the Roses, battered and vulnerable but left it a much more powerful and influential nation that flexed it’s muscles and would soon after begin it’s Empire. The Gunpowder Plot, famously failed by Guy Fawkes, A Civil War that saw England’s King Charles I lose his head, Puritans run the country before the Monarchy returned in 1660 with Charles II, The Loss of the American Colonies in 1776 to 1781, The Victorian Era that saw Britain become the World Power, winning Two World Wars….the end of the Empire,that’s a lot of History for one tiny island.
This Video is copyrighted and owned by CBBC:Horrible Histories, I do not claim any ownership of it.
Say what you want about this place but for Thousands of Years, it has continued to draw people from all over in. From the days that Celts decided to settle down, it still receives people from all corners of the globe. It’s History might be bloody and violent but you can’t call it dull. It’s a weird old place all right but it’s home. Every country has it’s Dark Secrets, try and deny it…This island started off as just that, an island that wanted to be more and it did that…it once owned a Third of this Planet….one small island! It once had America (East Coast), India, Canada, Australia, Hong Kong and chunks of Africa…of course it lost them all, like all Empires eventually do but it still achieved something that no one ever would have guessed it able too.
This isn’t a show off blog to boast what Britain has been able to accomplish, its a reminder to people living here that…it’s not that bad. A clip of what Britain makes today may just inspire you.
– Copyrighted and Owned by the BBC, I don’t own this video nor claim to.
- Music- Beatles, Queen, One Direction
- Food- Cadburys, Fish and Chips
- Sports- Liverpool, Manchester United, Celtic, Arsenal, Chelsea. Lewis Hamilton, Sir Bradley Wiggins
- Film- James Bond, Harry Potter
The world is a great place with many great countries and as I started this blog off, I mentioned a few examples and asked the question, what does Britain have? and my answer to that is, Heart. Despite only being a tiny island, this place has achieved so much, defied odds and ruffled feathers. When things have looked bleakest, it has never given up and that shows Heart, yeah you’ll always find some people who will despise this place for what it has done but you can never underestimate the British Peoples Heart nor can you ever underestimate the place. Plus it has a great sense of Humor.
To finish us off tonight, a good old sing along about the English Kings and Queens, it’s quite catchy so enjoy.